9.06.2006

Smells

I am a person who notices smells.

One of my favorite things is the smell of dirty children who have been playing outside all day in the dirt and looking for frogs and tadpoles. These children have a very distinct smell, kind of a earthy fishy froggy smell mixed in with whatever lunch they ate that day.

I do not like the smelly feet smell, especially on a hot day in a hot office. This is partly the fault of cheap shoes, but also the fault of extremely unventilated offices.

What is your favorite or least favorite smell?

4 comments:

jennifer joy staab said...

Dear Mr. Finley:

Have you ever been to the Alps? ....

No. I did not think so. How can you know what the alpine wilderness smells like unless you have been there. huh? huh?

--The writer of this blog.

jennifer joy staab said...

The word "alps" was applied to the mountain range in europe by the Romans long before anyone thought to apply it as an adjective for mountain air.

I guess if you use the term alps like we use the term "Kleenex" or "Coke," I suppose I will allow this. Just remember where the true alpine snows and flowers and air reside!

Mr. Mando said...

I like the smell right before the rain, and the smell after the rain. The smell of a crisp, clean, quiet brook trickling through the woods, and the smell of a crisp late summer morning. I like the smell of my mom's roses, and the smell of her cooking. My wife cooks some mean smells too. I like the smell of a running diesel tractor and the mountain breeze.

I don't like the smell of garbage dumpsters, sewage, strong BO, Halitosis, smelly feet, that harsh chemical smell, or rotting carcases and food.

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

The best smell in the world has got to be freshly baked bread from my parent's bread-making machine.

Worst smell is a toss-up between a dead deer lying beside the road in August after a week and sewage.