8.01.2005

Virginia Beach, Regent University: Day Three

First, let me just say something more about the Beach scene here. Last night, while watching the fireworks at 10pm--quite the little show they have there--I had a brilliant idea. Next summer, let's all come here and live and get jobs and be beach bums. Dave could be the pyrotechnic that puts on the fireworks shows for all the tourists. Dustin and Misty could set up a little 24 hour evangelism outreach on the beachside, Tim could do magic on the street, Simon and Sarah could set up a little tea house and sell tea and scones, Jill and I could have an internet coffee house-- since they are scarce here--and everyone else could work at the little tourist trap shops and we could all have just a jolly time. After we all got off work, we could play ultimate frisbee on the beach with a glo in the dark frisbee. I am thinking about all this because I just miss you all so much!--Oh oh! and Hope and Pat could make a killing off selling t-shirts down here!

Ok, now onto more serious things...Today was much more of a mellow day than I was expecting. I guess I thought since I was in "Graduate School" that it was going to be super intense and paralyzing. Oh how wrong I was. The professor who is teaching our residency, is a super relational guy. Dr. John Keeler. Brilliant, but very fun and full of stories. We spent most of the day talking. Yes, it was sort-of discussion-ish, but more like just chatting about things that we are all passionate about. I am also very much loving my classmates. They are all super fun, hilarious and interesting. Everyone has a great story and we are all very different people. I think I do get the most points for coming the furthest, but I think some of the other "stories" are more intersting than mine. It is great to meet them in person before we start hashing things out online.

Paul, the one guy in our class, was unanimously voted as a Napoleon Dynamite look-alike, except his hair is brown. He's totally into music, so that was fun to chat a little about Death Cab for Cutie. He lives in Dallas, TX but is originally from Long Island NY.

Leah is a children's teacher. Super fun. We had the best time talking about her recent trip to Switzerland and Austria (she went on the Sound of Music tour--very cool) She's from Pittsburgh and hates Hersey's as much as I do! Her family is in the chocolate business, so she knew at age 4 what good chocolate is. She was quite impressed by Swiss Chocolate.

Iris just got married a couple of weeks ago! We couldn't believe that she was here! She's so smart and knows the Bible inside and out. But she's also a pop culture junkie and can tell you the latest news about anyone. I would definately want to be on her team for trivial pursuit.

Dana is local, and sounds like she's had a very interesting life as both her parents work for CBN. She's a music education major and sings. I hope I get to hear her sing a little while I'm here. I didn't get to talk to her much, but we are in the same group for a project this week, so I will get to know her much better I am sure.

Dyane is a wonderful woman with so much spirit and passion--and a great sense of humor. When she was explaining her paper, she was on such a roll, I almost started to "amen" her. I told here that she has a gift for public speaking and preaching. She is also someone that has had an interesting life and I hope to hear more of her stories. I sat by her a lunch and really enjoyed our conversation. She lives in Maryland, but is originally from British Guyana.

Kellie, a sweet lady, and with a great southern accent and from North Carolina. She owns her own dance studio and used to work for Billy Graham's radio station. She's also done stuff on movie sets. Yet another person with some great background and stories that I want to pull out of her.

Today was more of an orientation day and I met so many other interesting people. There is a lot to think about and I really can't believe that I am here, and doing this! I am really here!

Oh yes, and one more thing. Our 'webmaster' for our program is Swiss! I was listening to him talk and thought, wow, he sounds so Swiss. And I was right! He said he was going to go home to celebrate First August, the Swiss National Holiday. I love how small this world is. Hopefully, I can meet him and give him a swiss greeting.

No comments: