7.31.2005

Virginia Beach, VA: Day One and Two

Arriving on the east coast, yesterday evening, I was disappointed. RAIN was waiting to meet me as I stepped off the plane. Ironic isn't it, that I leave Seattle as some of the most beautiful weather is hitting the Northwest. Ah well, I suppose its a good reminder that there truly is no place like home.

Finding adventure even in the midst of rain, I joined the throngs of vacationeers on Atlanic Avenue in Virginia Beach and wandered through the shops. Yes, Simon, you were correct. Each store has exactly the same thing. All along the strip for miles, selling the same cheesy t-shirts, "free hermit crab with the purchase of a cage!", shot glasses, sun umbrellas and seashells. One unexpected and enjoyable part of the evening was the many live bands and theatrical acts that were stationed at different places along the street, all posting this sign: Entertainment Provided by the City of Virginia Beach. Thank you, Virginia Beach! What fun to hear everything from Sting covers to drumming on trash cans and some good 'ol Lousinana music. Did I also mention that I found a wonderful (covered) beach cafe with fish n chips, Heineken and live music--guitar and electric violin?

This morning, I ventured out into the downpour to explore a little, find my bearings and basically find something to do other than sit on the beach in the rain. I looked for a Starbucks knowing that sometime today I had to work on my papers that are due tomorrow. I found Regent University, (Wow. quite impressive--Jami, I teared up a little! :P--or was that the rain just stinging my eyes?) downtown Norfolk, a large mall, a ghetto library, but no Starbucks. I just want my coffee and internet!!!

I found one, with the help of the aforementioned librarian (sort of) and just by driving around for a long, long time. Ah, home sweet home. It's sad, isn't it when a Seattle-ite feels so at home in a Starbucks! But truly, the east coast is a much different animal than its western counterpart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the details Juniper. I loved reading of your wandering to find new things. Today was more hot than yesterday. I don't want to complain, but it seemed a bit unbearable at moments.
I pray that you are filled with vision and a sweet presence from the Lord reminding you He is with you.
I love you and will call you sometime this week.
I have one small challenge to you.Try and find a cafe other than Starbucks. This morning P Norm told of a quote he read on the side of a Starbucks cup and it made me want to boycott Starbucks. So, I challenge you oh coffee cafe companion to find a quaint, decorated cafe to enhance your coffee cafe ideas.
Bye for now.
Kidney