5.20.2007

Portland

On Saturday, I went to Portland, Oregon to do a little tax free shopping. I hadn't been there for about 10 years, and it was odd to be there again. I lived in Portland from about age 11 until age 21. In many ways, a lot of who I am today was formed during my time there as I spent my adolescence in that wonderful city. When we moved to Portland, I was a country girl, so not only did I grow up, but I was transformed from a small town hic to a sophistcated city girl--well, I supposed that can be debated.

Saturday, I was able to go to a few of my old haunts, Pioneer Square, Powell's Books and Rocco's Pizza. I drove by my old house, work, school and other places. One funny thing is that I kept getting lost! I think it's because when I was in Portland, I was a pedestrian. And being a driver is very different than being a pedestrian!

Being in Portland while at the same time knowing that I have grown up even more since moving to Seattle, everything felt a little unreal. I was walking the same streets, but my outlook and perspective is so different than the last time I was there. I think that I have mellowed out quite a bit since then, plus I am not depressed like I was. I am glad that life continually changes and that God is continually giving grace and mercy, while helping me grow up. I am also glad that even though I am almost 33, (oh gosh) that I am not done with my growing up.

1 comment:

scribbler said...

Exactly! When I was in Portland last (01) it was incredibly surreal - as if, a parallel life. The city is still a little charmer. BTW Great photos - keep clicking!