4.14.2007

Mugs of Tea

I am guilty of leaving a trail of of mugs and teacups behind me, half-full and tepid. I wake up in the morning, make a cup of tea and carry it to whatever chosen perch of mine to spend time in prayer. I get distracted, leave the mug behind and later make another cup, forgetting that I already had one, now cold and lonely. After a day of this, I might wander around and find the various drinking vessels scattered around the house, one on a windowsill, another on a dresser, and perhaps one in the laundry room on the dryer. I will even find some, days old, with the milk beginning to curdle in the brownish pale tea.

My obsession with tea started really after my return from Switzerland a few years ago. I moved in with a family, whose head is a British man. Their youngest son started drinking tea as a toddler, holding the china teacup carefully and sipping as elegantly as a Lord. The tea canister would run low at times, and a quiet fight would ensue to see who would get downstairs first the next morning to get that last cup of tea.

Still today, I find that I love to open the new box of tea from the store, breathing in the aroma of the tea leaves and packing my canister full with the round tea bags. Though I love a good cup of coffee, tea has taken that supreme place of that first drink in the morning.

5 comments:

Rachel Sarah said...

I can so relate, Jen. My obsession with tea began in the early 90's when I lived in the "British-influenced" land of India. Then, it was called "chai" (not what we Americans know as chai with its strange mixture of spices... in India, chai is simply a cup of tea with sugar, milk and - occasionally - a bit of fresh ginger.) A piping hot cup of tea is my first craving in the morning and when I walk through the door after work in the afternoon. In India, we ALWAYS had afternoon tea at 3:30pm, so there's a bit of nostalgia to my tea addiction as well. -- Rach!

Rose said...

You better believe I'll be at free cone day!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel Sarah said...

I noticed you said "half-full" instead of "half-empty"... very positive and optimistic of you! :>)

Anonymous said...

jen, I like this post very much. you are poetic even through the everyday. alongside, I like you and miss you. but I disagree about tea as #1 warm morning beverage; I still love coffee, and here the viennese do it extremely well!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.