4.07.2006

Traffic Jam

*Disclaimer* this post has the potential to be a little intense and self-reflective. you may want to stop reading at this point.

There are times in life, when there are intersections in relationships. Of course, the whole journey and path metaphor is competely cliche, and here I am falling into the trap. But also, I am picturing this metaphor as a intersection complete with a traffic jam. Sometimes while waiting at a stop light in life, I look around and see the people around me, maybe notice something unusual, wave exchange nods.

Now let's say there is a real tangle and the waiting takes a long while. People begin to get out of their cars, start chatting and even share their Pringles or Oreo cookies with each other. At that point in time, there are no other people in the world except those people stuck with me in the mess o' traffic. The common experience of being forced to wait is so strong, it becomes a kind of unwritten contract.

But Then! All of a sudden traffic is moving, everyone jumps in their cars, start up their engines and drive away. No time to even say goodbye.






For me, this is how I feel life is at the moment. Its not a horrible thing, as who knows whom I will meet at the next red light or stop sign. And of course, it is not a perfect metaphor--I am sure the comment line will be full of people poking holes in it--but I think it conveys a feeling, that I know is real right now.

I wish things could always stay the same. But I guess that I wouldn't be living life now would I?

No comments: