2.23.2006

Long-Distance Relationships

Currently, I am working (inching, crawling?) toward a Master's Degree. All through a Distance Education course which means I live online, I travel through mail, and take occasional trips to the east coast.

Which brings me to my next point. Group reasearch projects.

Yes, difficult. However, with a little creativity, semi-decent communication and tons and tons of technology, it is possible and even fun. When do I get the opportunity to write a proposal for a research project with someone from Annapolis, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Texas? This year I do!

So after a few agonizing weeks, lots of emails, discussion board postings, a few group instant message chats, phone calls (the longest being 3 and 1/2 hours--ha ha I beat you Christy!) we finally got our 14 page PROPOSAL written. This is just the beginning... Now we have the rest of the semester to actually do the research and write the big fat paper at the end with our findings...

But, even with all my complaining, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. (Really Jen? what about living in Ireland or even owning a yacht?)

NO! I wouldn't trade it....

But can't I do both?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought maybe you meant to make the "anything" word a link, which would show us what is something you WOULD trade the experience for. But then I believed you were sincere. And I didn't know you dream of boating; that's cool Jen.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... my 'anything' examples would have been living in a flat in London, or a house right next to Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming... anyway, can you lend me some of your graduate school enthusiasm? It's late on Thursday night/Friday morning, and I'm now writing that proposal on my own, as my group in COM 601 has disintegrated.

Ack, enough complaining... truthfully, I wouldn't trade it either. :)

Anonymous said...

Ms. Staab,

I noticed that one of your group members is from Pittsburgh and that the writing of this proposal took place during the Super Bowl...the one in which the Steelers beat that other team (Mu hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!sorry bout' that...I'm from near Pittsburgh myself). Was there any um...trash talking between the two of you? Especially afterwards when it became clear who the dominant team was? This, btw, is part of an unofficial survey I'm conducting because I'm procrastinating for a mid-term.

jennifer joy staab said...

*GROAN* will the abuse never end? Hmmmmmm...... I notice you say nothing of the refereeing ??