2.01.2006

Laughter

I have noticed something about myself. Lately, I have been laughing a lot. A LOT. A few years ago, I did not laugh much. When people told jokes, I would either not get the joke, or I'd smirk a little, perhaps chuckle a bit. Now, any little thing gets me going. If I am instant messaging with a person, and I type in "LOL," I am pretty much really doing that. I am truly laughing!

A very good benefit to my current job is that I sit in a reception area that for much of the day is occupied only by myself. So I can laugh away to my hearts content.

I also get jokes a lot quicker than I used to. It really does not take much any more to get me to laugh. Also, another change is that I used to never think that "guys" were funny. I would think, "Oh how immature" and roll my eyes. But now--I think they are hilarious! I am not sure for this switch, but perhaps it has to do with the fact that I finally just gave up being so stuck on myself. One thing is for sure, I can also laugh at myself and I do this quite frequently.

I wonder if laugher makes one younger? No one believes me anymore when I tell them how old I am... There is a proverb: "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."

Next time you see me, stop me and ask me to do my Old Man Laugh for you. Its my favorite laugh.

4 comments:

Timothy said...

I like that you laugh, Jen. Good job.

Funny what you said about not laughing at guys. I remember my induction Sunday into MC... you were taking pictures of each new student outside, and I think I tried to crack a joke, be funny, be nice, make friends. Didn't get any response from you whatsoever. Knowing you now, I think you were in your photo-artistic-non-communication zone.

Anonymous said...

I also laugh more than I used to Jen, and less at the same time. I was telling Tim only the other week that I remember making the decision to find things funny, even if I could tell what the person talking was trying to achieve by saying the funny-thing. Life has been much happier since :) I laugh less, because I have fewer silly people around me who I can be silly with. Sigh.

Also, I know nothing more about bridge jumping but if you want to email my brother who has never done it, he's at michaelmoore@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

And Jen, isn't it so cool that its like God KNEW you were going to be so full of joy, because He made you name be "Jennifer JOY"? It's like He knows everything like that.

justin said...

Hey Jen, can you do an audio post of your old man laugh?