12.20.2005

I walk in to Starbucks, wait patiently in line, give my drink order, pay and then wait again on the other end. Tall Americano with Room. I grab my drink, walk over to the condiment bar and pour in about 2 seconds of half and half, put the lid back on and head out to my car. I get in, put my seatbelt on, turn on my mini ipod and reverse out of the parking spot, holding my coffee in one hand. Driving away, I wait until I am well on the road before I take that first sip.

Each time I reach that point, it's like hearing an old favorite song from high school that I haven't heard for ten years, or running into an elementary school best friend in the mall while Christmas shopping or finding that pair of shoes you thought were lost.

It's a great part of the day.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Whoa, this is twilight zone. I also get the SAME drink, with TWO seconds of half & half, and I always wait until I'm driving in my car to take the first sip.

Except usually I spill it somewhere, so by the time I start drinking it, I'm annoyed.

You're pretty cool, Jen.

justin said...

Yeah, American's spill easily. Foamy lattes are the order of the day for no spillage.

I must say, that waiting to drink a coffee until you're well on the road is the absolute best way to do it. It's like a surprise or something. "Oh yeah! I have coffee. Mmmmm....sllrrrshhhrrp. Ahh..."