11.21.2005

Flying at night...

...is always an adventure for me. The stars are so clear, and the city lights below are fascinating. Flying home from California last night, we were approaching SeaTac airport, coming around the circle on our way in for the landing. The fog was thick below us, with the lights of the Seattle area glowing under the cloud bank in various patches. We made the last turn, ready to make the final approach and the waning moon appeared low over the clouds, very large and very orange.

As we entered the clouds and headed toward the ground, we had almost reached the runway, when the pilot realized that he wasn't properly aligned and so up we went again. Though some people on the plane were a little freaked out by this, I was happy for another look at that moon. I wanted to stay up there, perhaps three or four more turns...

3 comments:

Timothy said...

I'm sure the rest of the folks wouldn't have agreed with you. But I would have been down. Driving into work tonight the big pregnant half-moon was laboring over the horizon. Beautiful.

(Is the birthing metaphor awkward? I like it.)

justin said...

The moon in labor only makes me think of it popping out a little moon or a comet. I guess that's kinda cool.

But it's still a little awkward.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't really work for me, either. Because the thing is, how could a HALF-moon be big and pregnant. A FULL, pregnant moon, now that could make good pictorial sense.