10.19.2005

Calvinist Friendship

How in the world do some friendships begin? To look at the facts of the matter, most of the time it seems unlikely that I and the other person would ever connect in any deep let alone shallow level. Many people say that friendship is a choice based on likes and dislikes, a social contract of sorts, just like the constitution or a business contract. However, there are too many unknowns to factor in such as differences of belief, gender barriers, age gaps and radically different music tastes. Sometimes random conversations begin a friendship while other times, a friendship can start after long periods of conflict with an opponent. I have had both.

It could be that Calvin was right. Nothing starts or ends without the sovereign working of God. Where does free-will play into it all? I am not sure if it has much to do with it. Some of my favorite people are people that I rarely see because of geographic boundaries or other such circumstances. Not that the people whom I choose to spend my time with aren't favorites, but just because I am not around a person doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see them.

Perhaps choice determines the short-term relationships or even aquaintances, but with long-term relationships there is definately something bigger going on. It is never so simple. Friendship is a lot of work and I suppose without God, nothing would last very long. He seems to know better than I do which people are the best fit for me.

3 comments:

Timothy said...

He's got the whoooole world, in His hands, He's got the whooooole world, in His hands....

Anonymous said...

Maybe fate brings opportunity. From that point on, we have a bit more say in what happens. While free will is definitely a factor in how we live our lives, there is definitely some bigger force out there...
Friendships come and friendships go; the ones that last are ones who know... :)

jennifer joy staab said...

FATE! ..."Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds." FDR.