8.30.2005

What IS creativity?
Last night, I called my mom on my way home from the library and asked her to rate my creativity on a scale of one to ten. (I actually have an assignment at school where I have to poll people I know on MY creativity!) She of course gave me a nine, which is good as she IS my mom. When I asked her why she said it's because I grew up not having any money, so I learned to use my resources in a very creative way. That is true, I think. Then as we kept talking she said, "I've always known you are a very creative person, but I can never figure out what you are trying to say!" I started laughing so hard, tears were rolling down my face. She then said that when I was going to the thrift store to buy flannel shirts, she always wished she would have never taken me to a thrift store in the first place.

I asked this same question of my carpool cohort, Graham. He responded with a 6 or 7 because, as he put it, "You are not as creative as Finley. He can say anything and makes it sound completely true." I thought that was pretty funny too.

So far, my poll has only shown that people rate creativity differently. I wonder that other kind of responses I will get?

3 comments:

Timothy said...

Hmm....

Creativity.

I would give you an 8.7. I think you're a creative person, Jen. I don't think that creativity necessarily has to do with being resourceful, or with being able to say anything at all and making it sound true. I think it has more to do with a God-given burden to CREATE. One thing I noticed about creative people is that they're always creating things, whether in need or plenty, happy or sad, they have the desire to design and give existence to the ideas in their head.

You are one of these people.

Timothy said...

Isn't it nice when people leave comments?

imallforgod said...

I love your creativity! You have the ability to take something and make it beautiful whether it is in words or visuals. That is a great gift! I'd also give you a 8/9.

Stephanie