8.10.2005

Friendship

Yesterday, I was reminded (again) of the great privilege of having relationships with people. I feel a little like Edmund Dantes when he arrives on the Isle of Monte Cristo and finds a treasure so large that it cannot even fit into eight ships. Everywhere I turn, I find friendship. How is it that I am so blessed? I can't claim to understand it. And not just the friendship based on common likes and dislikes, but based on something deeper and more real. People in my life speak up when they see me thinking or doing something that could get me into a mess of some kind. Friends bless me unexpectedly with laughter, stories or surprises. I have learned more from people than I have ever learned from books--and that's a big deal as you all know that I am quite the bookworm. I can go almost anywhere in the world, and I know people: France, England, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Kenya, Costa Rica, Singapore, and a large portion of the 50 US states.

Connection. How does it even happen? Sometimes, it takes years to build that connection with another person. Other times, it happens in a week. The God factor is a big part of it, as without His grace, I don't know how I could really love people and receive love from them. I think that also, I have to remember that people are really the treasure that is important--not money, education and/or a career. If my motivation in life is for myself, then I just cut off the treasure that surrounds me, other people. And thanks to Jesus Christ, I don't have to worry about getting shafted by other people because of this big word: Forgiveness.

Yes, just call me Countess.

No comments: