6.09.2005

Simplicity

1 : the state of being simple , uncomplicated, or uncompounded2 a : lack of subtlety or penetration : INNOCENCE, NAIVETé b : SILLINESS 3 : freedom from pretense or guile : CANDOR 4 a : directness of expression : CLARITY b : restraint in ornamentation : AUSTERITY Merriam-Webster Dictionary



When I get flustered or worried about circumstances, it usually comes out of discontentment. Adventure and excitement are two of my favorite things in life, so the everyday can be unappealing. The everyday. How can that be defined? The everyday is different for each person, but there is a common experience with the everyday that we share with other people in our community, society and culture. It suggests repitition and sameness. There are cycles associated with the everyday. Wake up, shower, eat, drink coffee, drive to work, work, drive home, eat, go to sleep. And each day it is the same. We all have our typical stops during our day, the grocery store, the bank, the gas station, and if you live in Seattle, the espresso stand or Starbucks.

I desire simplicity in life. Everyday life is simple. Then why do I dislike it? Why am I discontent with it? I'd rather be uncomplicated than complicated. Complications are always confusing. Adventure is confusing and complicated. There may be some kind of a "rush" connected to Adventure, but I really couldn't sustain that for a long period of time.

Living a simple, peaceful commonplace life must be a choice. A choice to see the adventure in the small things each day. To notice the way the flowers grow toward the sun, to watch the change of light throughout the day, to enjoy the uniqueness of people I meet throughout the day. Contentment is really the opposite of negativity. When I am critical and negative, I cannot find anything enjoyable about my day and the people in it, but when I choose contentment, I find that people are so beautiful and i find wonder.

There is always wonder.

No comments: