6.16.2005

Activism

What defines whether or not a person is an activist? Is it political leanings of ideals, passion and zeal about a subject, attending protest rallies, lobbying in the legislature? Activism is usually associated with leftist paradigms. Activists are seen to tie themselves to old growth trees, swim in front of whaler boats, march in gay-rights parades, attend protest rallies against the war in Iraq. Can a person even be an activist with conservative ideals? Can I have passion against the killing of the unborn, stand for the sanctity of marriage between an man and woman, and embrace patriotism while supporting our President and the men and women in military service in Iraq? I don't think the media would portray me that way. From that description of myself, some would call me a fundamentalist Christian. How can a extremist right wing conservative ever be considered an activist?

No comments: